Last night the kids were in a pretty good mood. They couldn't get enough of supper. If you can get Micah to say he likes something, let alone is his 'favit!' (favorite), you've done well. He also got after Aslynn for singing at the table tonight. Usually Micah is the 'singing at the table' police and I'm the one in trouble.
After supper, Micah tells me, "I love you Daddy." Again, this doesn't happen too often. He's scarily enough used the 'hate' word before (but not in recent days). Unscripted and unprompted pleases and thank-yous and I love yous are like music to a young parent's ears.
Another cute thing that happened was after we left the table. Aslynn was saying something to Micah in her oriental-style gibberish and he looks at her, pauses, and says, "Puh-lease!" I don't know where he got that one. Sort of like when he says things like "bee-utiful" or words like scrumptious. It's hilarious just to listen sometimes. His latest phrase is, "That was totally wicked!!" If you watch The Incredibles, it's one of the last lines in the movie. Sounds just like that kid, too.
After a week like last (catching Aslynn in the flour twice more, catching Micah toothpaste-handed again, a few torn books, some wet underwear and a few lost teddies and soothers later), you wonder about your parenting skills and discipline and methods and a whole lot of other things. To be encouraged, to laugh, and to enjoy your kids is a blessing from God. Having a day like yesterday puts things back into perspective. You are only you. They are who they are. God is who He says He is.
Knowing that your kids are in God's hands, knowing who they are going to become is more dependant on Him than you makes a parent want to pray more often. Sure, we have influence on them right now, but that becomes less and less over time. Micah is in preschool now and has friends and teachers outside of our home and church. That's great! Hopefully he can be more of an influence on them than they are on him. Time will only tell.
It's nice to rest in the comfort of knowing God loves the kids and Faith more than I ever could. He has a better plan for their lives than I could lay out. And when I allow God to lead me, He is faithful. When I depend on Him, He provides more than I ever need. Maybe not in the ways I expect, but He is faithful.
- Mark
1 comment:
luke and i were just talking about how much we miss micah's big eyes and funny sayings and just how incredibly fun it is to try and figure out what aslynn is saying...you have wonderful children and you both are doing a terrific job with these blessings that God has given you. we love you!
Post a Comment