Sunday, September 21, 2008

Riding into the Sunset

Aslynn and Micah have wanted to spend the last moments of summer riding their bikes. Aslynn is still working out the kinks of riding with training wheels on. Her little legs just don't have quite the oomph that someone taller and more athletic might, but her determination is getting her places. Micah has been a big help with her. He'll leave her in the dust on our gravel street and she'll try to go wherever he's been.

Just yesterday Micah and a younger friend went for a bike ride down to the end of our street. Once there, they were swapping stories of squishing spiders and leaping grasshoppers with their bikes. This led to getting off the bikes in search of critters and hills and tall grass. When they returned to their bikes, they realized that one was missing. Well, when a six- and four-year-old who are already imagining crazy things (like being "the first one ever to smush a grasshopper on my bike"), they tend to continue imagining things.

"I parked it right here on the grass!"
"Daddy, somebody must have took-en it!"

I walked with them up and down where they were playing and 5 minutes later - sure enough, there was the bike, parked neatly between two strangers' cars. The younger boy had forgotten where he had parked. It was cute and funny.

I've already had a bike stolen here so it wasn't like I didn't entertain the idea of his bike being stolen as well. I just don't know that many 4-year-olds with the brazen confidence to steal a bike that was so well hidden with the owner three steps away.

Watch yourself, though. You may end up being scandalized by the Forgotten-Bike Bandits one of these days yourself! (Now, where are my keys, watch, and wallet?)

- Mark

No comments: