Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Family Day Stampede!

I must apologize for the few and far between posts this summer. If you have been following us regularly you will note that we go through seasons of blogging, and since it is summer we have chosen to be selective. Why? Simply because we're enjoying life. Faith told me to put the camera away just the other day because I was taking shots instead of getting involved. What's life if we don't participate in it? Micah must have learned his observation skills from his dad. He will stand on the sidelines and just watch while everyone else does what they are supposed to do and suddenly realize that everyone else is done and he hasn't even started! Don't get me wrong, Micah and I get very involved and enjoy ourselves, but we occasionally drift off and need someone to bring us back to life.


It was great to go out to the Stampede while we were in Calgary. We hit it on family day so we didn't have to pay anything for the gate entry and got a free pancake breakfast out of the deal. We know how to do it and get our money's worth. I think we spent maybe $30 all day and that was given to us by Faith's parents. Of course, mini-donuts and cotton candy were a given, and by the end of the day we were all so tired we figured that we ought to buy some more food. Overpriced? Yes. But that's why we brought a backpack filled with water and goodies to sustain us throughout most of the day. The kids were excited to watch the IAMS Superdogs again this year. Micah was dancing around with excitement as he watched them. Also, the kids got to see the Doodlebops perform on the Coke stage. I don't know if the kids could tell, but we noticed that at least two of the characters were played by different people than in the TV show. At least they dressed the same... Judah and Aslynn both took turns sleeping at different points of the day. Judah woke up as he watched the motorbikes fly past us. Micah went and talked to the guys and got them to autograph his shirt later. He was pretty stoked. Just before watching these guys do their tricks, there was a group diving team who dove into a 3 metre pool from multiple heights, one up to 60 feet in the air. The supercross guys were using a shorter ramp than an arena and had about 15 feet less to stop once they landed. Crazy I tell you.

















We went to check out the Agricultural Exhibition as well. Micah loved watching the sheep shearing, and we watched while a miniature donkey bit a little girl who stuck her hand where it shouldn't have been. Judah loved the horses. Aslynn was excited about almost everything. I'd say the most disappointing thing we watched was the miniature horse show with 5 horses paraded around dressed like their young owners. Boring. And it took them forever to prepare the exhibition for their short little walk around the judges. Speaking of disappointing, there was a group called Recycled Percussion from the New England area, and while I enjoyed the music and the show, most everyone else found it to be loud and obnoxious.


The USA Breakdancers returned from the Bronx and once again, the were good. There was also a French-Canadian comedy/acrobatic/juggling team named Les Vitamins. I would rate them PG - for parental guidance and pretty good. Funny. Talented. But I could have cared less. Sorry guys, it's hard to be the best amusement at the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth! All of this and we spent what, maybe $30? And I think Faith's parents gave us that. Most people I talk to spend more than $100.00... on just the couple, if not more because of gate entry, rides, the grandstand show, food - I mean, there are places you can spend your money if you really want to! One day we'll see the Grandstand Show. Just not while I'm a student.

- Mark

No comments: