We have a bone to pick with Micah's school. They don't really communicate.
Take for instance basketball tryouts. The school did not let us know they were happening. Did you know that you can hold basketball tryouts and just tell a 10 year old when it's happening without informing his parents through email, a note, posting it on the school's website, calling, texting, Facebook...
Unfortunately this is not an uncommon problem with our son's school. No information came home regarding the Halloween party that included a dance where the Grade 5 kids were allowed to participate with the Grade 9's. After asking at the beginning of the year how much interaction there would be between older students and younger students we were reassured that they basically remain segregated in their own separate sections of the school so that everything remains age-appropriate. We just found out that they now have a 'mentor' in an older grade who meets with them on a regular basis. Without informing us. Way to go, liars. Nice. The principal and I are about to have a conversation.
Back to basketball. So, did you know that you can hold tryouts and not give any information out about basketball - what day of the week, what time of the day, what the costs may be, what the age parameters are, who the coaches are, what the commitment is. Yeah. Nuthin. Brutal.
And one more thing - This week is "Innovation Week" at school. According to Micah, everyone in the school selects a partner and a project. His project? Making an instructional video on hockey skills with his friend Chase. The issue? Apparently the school has given them permission to leave the school grounds with an older person to they can use the outdoor rinks in town. Umm, we can't take our child from the school grounds without the school's permission and prior knowledge, but they can leave the school with him and not tell us about it. Frankly, I don't like the fact that nobody from the school has talked to us except our 10 year old son. And that, folks, is poor communication. So I will go to the principal and 'communicate' tomorrow.
4 comments:
WOW!!! I thought Caronport was bad!! ...can I be a fly on the wall during this "communication"....?
Jan
Yikes. I would definitely be 'communicating' about that!
That is crazy!!
Have fun "communicating"!!
Joy
That would get me communicating all over the place. Not right at all! Esp leaving the school grounds with a person you don't know? What? I hope you get it all figured out.
Post a Comment