Friday, January 30, 2009

Hockey in Central Butte

I had all of these pictures set up for Faith to blog at home, but if you know all the issues we've been having in this infernal, forsaken province with the Internet - you'd know why it hasn't happened.


Micah got to play in a tournament some weeks ago. They were excited to win their first game - er, tie their first game. They haven't won anything yet as a team, which is a good and humbling experience for Micah. They played against Moose Jaw. I'd say the most amazing thing was the amount of goals scored by the other team and the lack thereof scored by our own. Let's just say this: the Moose Jaw parents were grumbling and whining while the Caronport parents were giggling under their breath. Oh, and two of our Caronport players were on the Moose Jaw team this year so they could play some "better hockey".












Although three of our players got credit for our goals, the first goal was a Steve Smith special - behind the net, into the goalie's pad, and into the net - by their player. It certainly wasn't because their goaltender was a girl either. Remember Manon Rheaume of the Tampa Bay Lightning? Yeah, most people don't. Well, the third goal was scored by her own centre who shot the puck straight to her and through her and into the net. I think our second goal might have been scored by a player on our team, but I know it went off a skate or two and the goalie again. It reminds me of the one time I played goal in minor hockey and Grandpa Janzen was watching. He asked me after the game if they called me "the sieve". I said know. I had no idea what a sieve was.


Caronport lost their other game, but hey, at least they looked good doing it. We went to and from the tournament with Joy (the Assistant Coach) and Alex. Alex is in Grade 2 and is one of two girls on Micah's team. Her brother was playing a game in Moose Jaw at the same time as this tournament and broke his leg. After the game we got them back to C-port in a hurry so they could go see Jason at the hospital. He's been hobbling around and doing pretty good on his crutches at school...

- Mark

No comments: