You know those life questions, the ones without adequate answers and clarity at the time? Yeah, we had a few that we didn’t know existed. If that sounds confusing and just way to deep, I didn’t really mean it. I think. Confused yet? Just wait, it gets better.
So, I took the van in for an oil change the other day. My friend put it up on the lift to take a closer look because hey, he’s a good friend. Even though the door said employees only, I got the privilege of walking back into the bay to chat with him. I got the line, “So, do you want the good news or the bad news?” Life question. I opted for both. The good news was very brief. It was the least I’d paid for an oil change in the past five years, and my engine light didn’t appear to mean a whole lot – although he couldn’t get around to putting the diagnostic tool on it. The front end is going – shocks, tie rod ends, bushings –and the rear shocks are also gone.
I already knew that our rear shocks were gone and was suspicious about the front, but my last mechanic told me they were fine. These things really aren't always a matter of opinion. They're good or they're not. They're not. Anyhow, we've been thinking about getting a secondary vehicle for a while - but after the trailer sells and then we get a baby and then pay off the student loan and then... This is the way our plans go. It's a wonder we get anything ever done with that many "and then's". Here we are realizing that we need a primary vehicle, not just a secondary one.
My parents (who are currently cruising near Florida) came out to our place on a Kijiji hunt for a pre-owned vehicle. They liked their last car so much, they just had to get another - only fewer and newer. We measure these things in miles and years, right? So they found a slightly newer and less used Pontiac Bonneville and parked their old one in our driveway and so lovingly made an offer we just couldn't refuse. I'd been praying for God to make a way for us to get a vehicle again, but sadly was not expecting Him to deliver in this style. We now own a car again. Phew! Got that mini-van monkey off of my back!
So it is now Sunday morning and I'm having a shower. I smell wood-smoke, but just assume its the neighbor's fireplace. Faith comes into the bathroom and thinks it's her hair that smells. Then I realize that the smell is coming from the vents. Mom and Dad are sleeping downstairs next to the furnace that I think may be causing us problems (it would be our luck with hot water tanks and furnaces). So I go downstairs in my housecoat to investigate. Pulling out the furnace filter and removing the front panel, I realize that my furnace is completely healthy aside from the months and years of dust in the filter (which I have now cleaned properly and noted the date). The smell is still there, and as Dad enters the room we notice smoke coming out from beneath the hot water tank. Great. I turned of the gas appliance that was flaming away and doused the underside with a cup of cold water. That did the trick for the moment.
There was a piece of 3/4" plywood underneath the hot water tank meant to raise it up into place that had caught on fire. I was told that the burner on the thing was replaced just months before we bought the place. I'm pretty sure the heat shield is completely corroded and the new burner was working just great. There are even scorch marks up the side of the tank where the door into the pilot light is. Fantastic. After fiddling around for a while and considering myself lucky to have had one of the last hot showers of the day, we got ready and went to church. Following this, Dad and I went hot water tank shopping, drained and removed the old one, and attempted to install the new one. I only say attempted because it took us until the next day to get the final piece required to finish the job. No leaks, gas, water, or otherwise now, and the fire is now back where it belongs. In perspective - $400 hot water tank vs replacing the house and everything in it including the family? PRICELESS. God took care of us, and we're thankful.
It is now Monday, and Mom and Dad are on their way home. So then we bundled up the kids and headed to Whitecourt to visit Clay and Tam and the kids for the rest of the day. We went their house, and then went skating together, and then had a lovely supper back at the house, all seasoned with good conversation and great fun. I'll get pictures up here yet of these things...
The saga continues. Wednesday was charming. Chillingly cold, enough to freeze your nose hairs together when you inhaled. We had just dropped off the two youngest kids at AWANA club at the church and chose to bring the oldest with us on our date night for behavioral reasons. O joy. I rolled down the window to talk to one of the youth from church, and when I got too cold I unsuccessfully tried to roll up my window. And I tried again. And then again. Nope, still works going further down. Uh oh. Maybe if I hit it - this is really going to be a good night. So we drove Micah home for his coldest 15 minutes ever in a vehicle. The temperature outdoors was -25 but with the windchill at 100 km/h you start to wonder if the gauge is even relevant. Fortunately we have a car now, so we grabbed it and some hot drinks and did our shopping for the night. Did I say date night? My bad. We still haven't officially celebrated Valentine's Day yet, and a ski weekend without our own children escorting a number of teens isn't exactly my idea of a romantic getaway.
The van is now fixed. Another $75 down the tubes for a used switch. At least I didn't pay for labor! Unbelievable! But now we have two functional vehicles, a new hot water tank, and some good stories about how God takes care of us. I'm sure there's more to be said, but I don't want to bore you any further.
No comments:
Post a Comment