It was a Wednesday afternoon. Mark was at coffee with one of his youth sponsors, the homework had been done, I was working on getting our supper ready before AWANA and the kids were outside playing in the snow. Because Micah was home I had allowed the kids to cross the ally and play on the monster snow pile at the edge of the Alliance church parking lot. All of a sudden Micah comes running across the deck and slides the door open.
“ASLYNN IS STUCK IN ATREE!!!!”
“What??”
“ASLYNN IS STUCK IN A TREE!!!! YOU NEED TO COME NOW!!!”
As I’m moving to grab my jacket and boots the big brother continues to freak out. Finally I look at him and ask,
“Is she bleeding?”
“NO”
“Is she breathing?”
“Yes...”
“So she’s not dead and she’s not bleeding. I think I have time to get my coat and boots on. Please calm down okay.”
I quickly follow my frantic overreacting son out the back door, across the ally, and part way up the snow mountain to find my princess stuck in a tree. It seems that she had been trying to climb the tree when she slipped and got one of her legs wedged between two branches. It was warm that day and as I climbed up the mountain to reach her I kept sinking into the soft snow. You know when you take a step and your boot goes down into snow up past your ankle. Yep that’s what it was like. I reached Aslynn and tried to figure out how I would get her out of this predicament that we were in. I placed her stuck foot onto my leg and told her to push up while I pulled at her armpits. Except, every time she pushed I sunk deeper into the snow and it was harder and harder to reach her arms. I kept having to move and try to find a more secure bit of snow to stand on. In the meantime I was dealing with freaking out son, panicking daughter, and my little peanut gallery.
Micah: “SHE’S STUCK!!!”
Mommy: “Yes she is but we’ll get her out honey” (Oh boy do I hope I can get her out)
Aslynn: “My leg hurts.”
Mommy: “I know honey, but we are working on getting you out. Please push hard with your foot okay.”
Micah: “SHE’S NEVER GOING TO GET OUT!!! WE NEED TO CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT.”
Mommy: “She’s going to get out Micah. You need to calm down. We are not calling the fire department.” (Oh boy I hope I don’t have to call the fire department, she’s really stuck.)
Meanwhile the peanut gallery is climbing the other side of the tree behind me.
Judah: “I’m not stuck! Look at me, I’m climbing the tree, and I’m not stuck.”
I keep trying to push Aslynn out and wonder how long until Daddy will be home, and hope that I can get Aslynn out because she is REALLY stuck.
Judah: “I’M STUCK TOO.
No I’m not.
Yes I am
No ... I’m out.”
Mommy: “Judah how about you go find your hat.” I think I was hoping to get rid of him for a few minutes.
Micah: “I’M NOT GOING TO AWANA TONIGHT.”
Mommy: “Why not?? (And why are we talking about this when I’m in the middle of trying to get Aslynn out of the tree.??)
Micah: “I’M NOT GOING TO AWANA BECAUSE I’M NOT LEAVING ASLYNN HERE ALONE STUCK IN THE TREE!!!”
Mommy: “Sweetie, Calm down Aslynn will be out of the tree by AWANA. (I hope I can get Aslynn out of the tree before AWANA) “Aslynn I really need you to push again.”
Micah: “I think you should call Daddy. ASLYNN IS STUCK.”
Mommy: “Okay Aslynn, let’s try again.” (I really don’t want to call Daddy)
All of a sudden I feel her move and Aslynn is not stuck anymore.
Micah: “I’m so glad you’re out Aslynn. “
Judah: “Look Mommy I found my hat.”
Mommy: “Good job Judah, lets all go inside now.”
Micah: “I’m hungry, what’s for supper.”
SIGH... and life goes on.
3 comments:
HAHAHAHAHA
This is me laughing so hard that I fall off my chair!! I can just picture it!!
Joy
My life is so much better because I read this! I'm sorry to laugh at you Faith . . . kind of . . . but you put a smile on my face this morning, and that's a good thing.
We sure miss you guys!
Brian
(Janice and this kids say "hi" . . . And Tanisha still says that Judah is her boyfriend.)
Ahhh! I miss you guys! :) So glad Aslynn didn't have to stay stuck in the tree! Hahaha! Although it brings on a great mental picture!.... Did I mention that I miss you guys...?
Janice
Post a Comment