Monday, February 21, 2011

Organizing catch up.

Thought I should let you know what I’ve done with the last few weeks of the organizing challenge.




Week 2: The entry way. I thought I would check what other people were doing with their entry way and when I stopped laughing I got down to business and did some sorting and moving around of stuff. I kept looking at these amazing entry ways. People had enlarged and hung pictures, bought storage units, painted, etc. You get the idea it seemed to be just blowing the idea of organizing the entry way out of the water. I defiantly will not get any recognition or award for my entry way, but I figure that we actually live in our home; it’s not a show home. As a result as much as I admire pretty, I need workable and liveable. Then there were the other entry ways that evoked a laugh. People who had gone out and bought a shelf with four hooks for coats, and placed a little basket on top to hold their cell phones and gloves. I mean lets be realistic here people. First these people must not have more than two people living in their homes, and second they obviously don’t live in Canada. A little box for gloves??? My mitten and glove holder for the five people in our home is bigger than the box our old 27inch TV came in. So like I said once I finished laughing I looked around my tiny entry to see what I could do to make it work. We had a little shoe shelf that holds 6-9 pairs of shoes. With winter boots, shoes, Sunday shoes, another pair of boots, extra shoes.... well you can imagine it just wasn’t working for all of us. I had a shoe shelf in mind that I have been looking for the last few months. Apparently nobody makes what I desire. So I finally just went out and bought a new shelf that holds 16 pairs of shoes. MUCH better, and I moved the old shelf into my room for my dress shoes and boots. I also added another basket to the shelf in the entry. Because the mitten box I have, despite it’s size is actually not big enough for 5 pairs of mittens, snow pants, etc. The joys of living in a cold climate I guess.

Week 3: Make yourself a cookbook. For those of you who know me well you realize that I already have a great cookbook that I continually am adding to and updating. Because I had done this just before we moved I didn’t feel like I needed to do it again, so I assigned myself my own tasks this week. I cleaned and organized most of the island, finished the kid’s chore charts and routines, and went over our budjet and finances with Mark.

Week 4: Make a gift wrapping station. REALLY?!?! Who are these people???? How many gifts are you giving away?? I have absolutely no need for a gift wrapping station in my house. My gift bags and Christmas wrap are in boxes in the basement storage room and I simply pull out the boxes when I need them. It works for me. I’m happy. So this week I’m going to look back at her 21 day challenge from January and pick some things from that to work on. I’ll let you know on Friday what I’m doing.



And for those of you who may be curious February’s monthly resolution, besides working on organizing my home better, is still going to be working on my daily devotions. I think another month of working on this would be good for me.

2 comments:

Joyfully HIS said...

SHOES!!!
They take up alot of space don't they?!?! So do things like small mitts and hats!

Good job, I cann't wait to see it.
I am looking forward to the FIRE blog! Maybe you should get the kids to write that one!

I started a blog. Can you get to it?
Joy

Marcy Payne said...

I have the tiniest entry on the planet, I think. No, maybe not, but very close. I'll take a pic sometime and show you what we've done. It is NOT pretty it is functional. It's all I got room for. And it's really not all that functional when I think about it. LOL. Good for you for tackling so many projects. I am going to be blogging about my binder triumph today. It is basically making a binder for each child with all the assessments, Business cards, school reports etc in one place b/c my disorganization in this area had been hurting more than just me for the last few years. It is amazing! Especially if you have special needs kids. I'm so excited about actually being able to find an assessment or a number if a teacher or therapist asks...sad to say I would often look blankly at them when they asked if I had a copy of something.