The kids did a lot of work on their own cars. They came up with the ideas for the designs, and I tried to shape them into what they wanted. Judah originally asked for Fillmore, the van from the Disney movie Cars, but I thought that he might appreciate Lightning McQueen more later. Well, it would have been easier to make a VW van, but no, Daddy has to take the challenging one. It was hard to make a block of those dimensions look right. But it worked out alright. Aslynn on the other hand wanted Sally from the same movie. Micah was far more original. He wanted a flaming torpedo. He and she did more work on their vehicles. And they turned out pretty good. Here are a few photos.
The races went fairly well. On their first run down the track, none of our kids' cars even reached the end. Then we discovered that almost everyone had lubricated their wheels. I grabbed the silicone lube and sprayed the cars. From that point on, Aslynn's car came in either first or second every time. Micah's was pretty close too, and Judah's raced really well. Overall, Aslynn got 2nd place in racing, and Micah's was in a three-way tie for fourth. Judah's I'm sure was a close fourth. He was in tears that he didn't get an award. Heartbroken. And then for crying out loud his sister wins an award! More tears ensue. He waited until the last reward was called, and then a few seconds more, and then he was crying again. I carried him outside. Crying. Poor boy. He did have the nicest car in his class. It's too bad that I painted most of it. He did paint the bottom. And the rims. And he loved driving it. Even when he broke off part of the spoiler. Of which I found a piece of a week later when I was cleaning up after youth group. Across the sanctuary from where I thought he had broken it.
He figures we should have thrown it out. It didn't win. And now for some reason Micah's has fallen behind the TV. Aslynn's is on the shelf in her room at the top of her closet sitting on it's award plaque because she doesn't want anyone to touch it. It was a lot of fun. And work in between layers of sawdust and paint drying. But by the time it rolls around again next year, the kids will all be excited again. Especially Aslynn.
No comments:
Post a Comment