Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Aslynn's Polly Pocket Caddy

So the problem with Aslynn's Polly Pocket Caddy is that she had watched me make Judah's the day before. So she wanted to help design hers. The next problem was that I thought it was pretty simple to make Judah's, so when her and her Daddy came up with some kind of crazy far fetched idea for hers I mistakenly thought it wouldn't be that complicated to do.
I was wrong.
Aslynn wanted her Polly Pockets to have a house. Kitchen, bathroom, bed's, hot tub, the works. She sat down with Daddy to draw a plan and this is what they came up with.

Aslynn wanted bed's for her Polly Pocket's to sleep in. So we decided that rather then try to put those in the space of the room that we would make the storage pockets into the Polly's bed's. So I sewed two pieces of material together for beds and separated them with floor space for walking and a large space at the far end for a 'closet'


After sewing them together I fold it in half and iron it for the pocket material at the bottom of the caddy.


Then I needed to figure out how high up that pocket piece would come on the front piece of the material. Because you see you can't make bed's without pillows. So I sewed two white pieces of material to make pillows.


After adding the pillows I sewed the pocket material on, lining it up with what will become the bottom of the room.


We made a kitchen,


with doors that open,


a bathroom sink and vanity,


added a custom built Arctic Spa,


And then decided to tackle a couch. We glued some stuffing to a back piece of material and first sewed the arm pieces on.


Then we added more stuffing to the back before sewing it on, and added two Velcro pieces...


for the pillows to attach to. (Let's not talk about how long it took us to figure out how to sew this stupid couch, and then actually put it together.)


After attaching the couch I switched to what would become the back of the caddy. I added lace to the top and bottom of it just to make it pretty.


Then came all the last minute details before the Polly's could move in. We added a window with curtains, a mirror above the sink, a rug by the couch, knobs for all the cupboard doors, and a lovely pink door in the corner so that the Polly's could somehow get into their house
.

Finally it was all ready, we sewed the front to the back using the same method I did on Judah's. And the Polly's could move in.


Aren't they cute snug in their beds?


I told the kids that because these are being made for summer holiday's that they couldn't play with them that much. But we allowed them some time on the trampoline with them. I think they had fun.


Just a note that these pictures were taken on April 28th. The kids have shorts and tank tops on. The day before it had snowed a few inches.