Of the seven boys he invited, five actually came. Having a summer birthday really makes it difficult for everyone to make it, but in this case it worked out well. So, there were six boys plus Faith, Judah, Aslynn, and me. When we finally made it to the outdoor pool in Stony Plain (which took a few wrong turns - Google didn't have it right), we got all of those boys in with Faith and I for the family rate. We just had to pay for Aslynn and Judah after that which wasn't so bad! We spent almost three hours there, sunburn free. It's been a while since I've been in a pool without much of a shallow end, but it was a lot of fun. And a lot of treading water with kids all over me. I scratched mu chest on the bottom of the pool my first dive down. After that, all I had scraped were the bottoms of my feet (pedicure, anyone?) and nails across my back from keep away.
We arrived home shortly after Faith brought the younger two home and had burgers, homemade jello, and Caesar salad as per Micah's meal request together. Then, briefly, we opened gifts of a Lego variety and two gift cards which Micah spent on Lego sets later. After that we served the cake and fed one of the parents of the kids who had just gotten off of work to pick up his son. I know that Micah had a great time.
The cake - a hockey arena. With firm, white chocolate boards and plexiglass. There was a bit of colour in it. Blue line, red line, goal line, creases, and more. A few cookie bears, a bit of icing laced with tartrazine, all good every once in a while. Of course, you needed a Flames symbol for Micah. Apparently they were playing against the Columbus Blue Jackets, the team he had been playing with in his current season of NHL Slapshot. Bet you were thinking that they would be playing the Oilers. He knows better than that. They might lose to the Oilers. It could happen. It has happened. It should happen again. Like when Micah and I see the Oilers and Flames play sometime this year as he's been promised tickets by our neighbours. Sweet!
It was a lot of fun and not too much hassle (or money). I have to say though, some of those kids were great - others had some fairly foul things to say. Public school world + church buddies = interesting times. I stepped in a couple of times when a couple of kids stepped over the line and the kids acted like they had never been told that what they were saying was inappropriate. Who knows? Maybe it was true. I'm just glad they're at my house and not at someone else's.
No comments:
Post a Comment