I thought you may enjoy hearing about our latest exploits in our final full day in Vancouver. I thought to myself, “Man, I really should have called up Ken and Luanne while we were here.” I mean, we actually really like you guys and it would have been a blast to have you show us around town – and eat out with us. I mean, we didn’t actually go for lobster (which is really more East Coast) or crab, but there were only two meals we’ve eaten haven’t included fish. Today Faith and I walked to Granville Island to explore and enjoy the sights, sounds, smells, and everything there. Well, we walked a long ways. We had to cross the bridge, go under the bridge, walk around the whole perimeter of the island, you know, walk. I’m sure we’ve been walking off everything we’ve eaten this weekend.
We checked out the kids’ market, a bunch of pottery and craft shops, and of course, walked through the Granville Island Market. Faith and I ate Halibut and Cod with chips, and one of today’s speakers invited us to sit and chat with her and a friend. It was Rene Rochester, and man, she made us want to attend a black church. Sorry white people, there’s just something so much more involved with the laughter, “Amen”s, “Hallelujah”s, and even a “Woot-woot”. And that’s on top of the valuable lessons she taught us. She’s the first African American woman to graduate from Texas University with a doctorate, and today she speaks at conferences when she is not teaching high school... by her choice.
Anyway, after eating our fish’n’chips, we got some dessert at another stall and walked in the wind down to the Aquabus, which saved us about 25 minutes of walking and cost us $6 for a 5 minute ride. We checked out a few shops on the way back and realized that we still had time before our last session. So we kept walking to Robson Street and found a few gifts for the kids. Well, Faith and I have found some things for ourselves there too, but hey, you only live once. Well, that’s a bit of a misnomer. Some of us do get to live twice, and the second time doesn’t include that awkward dying part again. Apparently cats live nine times - sometimes. But that’s beside the point.
We had a great time. Tonight we went out to Milestones and just ate appetizers. I wasn’t thrilled with some of the flavours – I think I’m becoming a food snob. Last night we were at a Thai food place that boasts that the princess of Thailand eats there when she comes to town, and I thought it was as good in Regina (or better). But their coconut, red curry chicken was fantastic. We actually checked out several menus (6 in total) before we were convinced to eat. Many were just too expensive! I didn’t eat a Japadog (the idea of wasabi and seaweed on a smokie just makes my stomach churn, though the teriyaki sauce sure smells good when you walk by). I thought the roasted chestnuts smelled great too, but Faith told me they smelled burnt. Maybe she was right. Oh well. It has been great fun.
Kids, we look forward to seeing you soon! We hear you’ve had plenty of snow and cold. Well, we are grateful to be flying to at least Calgary knowing that we don’t have to drive through the mountain passes. Please pray for the kids and youth leaders from Briercrest and elsewhere who have to drive through these treacherous conditions. Again, we will talk about what we’ve learned later as well. The amount of free stuff we have received is far less than in Nashville, though I think I have more books. And we were given the new Casting Crowns CD. It’s late. I’ve got to get this downstairs – er, I think I’ll take the elevator. Faith and I need to count how many city blocks we’ve walked today still....
- Mark
P.S.: I calculated the distance we walked and must say that we walked nearly 8.5 km (over 5 mi). Faith and I have sore feet and a few muscles that ache. Did I mention that a lot of the walking was up and downhill? My knees are sore from something else and I need to go to the doctor and get them checked out, so it was difficult to stand for worship in the main sessions. Which gets me to thinking that we always get people to stand for worship - what about those people who can't (or can't for long)? Do they just "stand on the inside" or find a corner near the stage where they can't see the words and get blown away by the band that the sound guy refuses to turn the volume down on so people can hear one another and participate with one another in worship? (Maybe I needed a greater understanding of how 'old people' feel).
No comments:
Post a Comment