Saturday, January 15, 2011

Let it snow baby, let it reindeer...

The snow just keeps coming and coming. I love it. It isn't that malicious snow either. It's that cute fluffy stuff with not a care in the world that likes to float down with the greatest of ease and the lightest of breeze. Sometimes it makes friends on the way down and they make miniature disassembled snow critters until they gently flop on top of the rest of their buddies. The kids love it. Unfortunately it has been so cold that they haven't really been out much to enjoy it. I would have shovelled today, but it was still looking a little pointless. I may have to dig my way out in the morning, but until then I'm just going to enjoy it.

The snow removal crew actually got to our cul-de-sac today. The grader made its way all the way up to my next door neighbor's front lawn where he proceeded to get stuck. I wasn't sure that was possible, but apparently it is. He had to wait for two skid-steers to come and dig him out. It took them only a few minutes, but it made for good entertainment for the kids even during the 30 minutes the driver had to wait until they arrived to rescue him. He then backed out and went on his merry way. The skid-steers however continued and made a nice hill right in the middle of the cul-de-sac that leads to my neighbor's front lawn so that he cannot park there even if he cared to. These houses are squeezed so tightly together, I hope I can get out in the morning with all that snow there. I'm sure we'll be fine. When they say we're getting 5cm of snow, they mean packed snow, right? It's pretty deep. "Pretty" being the operative term.

And husbands of wives visiting mine from elsewhere, the ladies are doing fine. Snow just means more time at the Mall. Doesn't that just make you and your pocketbook smile? It doesn't look like any strong winds in the forecast, so making their way home tomorrow should be a breeze easy enough since the snowplows are out in force. I wonder how tired those guys are? I'm tired too, but for far less noble reasons. Anyway, it will be great to have Faith back at home soon after her ladies weekend, but things have been pretty good with the kids and messes and all so I can't complain. I do need to figure out when a good guys weekend should be before my calendar explodes.

Now I'm thinking about work and ministry on my day off (I do enjoy what I do) so I will sign-off and think about the snow again and how the food Aslynn sprinkled for Santa's reindeer might take some work to get at. She did this after Christmas. Yes, I know, he's supposed to come at Christmas, but no-one really kept track of Jesus' exact birthday, and who says that Santa works on the Julian calendar and not the Jewish one? Maybe we're just in for a return trip and we're the only ones ready for his arrival - and we've got the bait. Besides, if the big man in red falls off of our roof when the reindeer get sidetracked for a snack, nothing but refreshing fluffiness will catch him at the bottom. Thank you God for the snow. Even though people may think you overcompensated for the last few years, I think You did things just right and opened the heavenly storehouses wide, wherever they may be. Forget about complaining. Let's celebrate!

- Mark

No comments: